Thursday 30 August 2012

One For Sorrow




My mother always told me to salute you,
With a brisk striking motion with my hand from the head,
The first time I ever saw you,
You lowered your head and bowed to me.

You have been despised for years I was told,
For hanging around battlefields and gallows long ago,
Disturbing people with your chattering call,
When from a distance heard is unmistakable.

One morning you perch on my garden fence,
The eye in the sky shone buoyant and bright,
I was surprised you didn’t shoot off
When the patio door slid open.

But elegant you perch on my garden fence,
I tiptoe towards you tentatively slow
And stopped and looked into your brown eyes,
I never thought I would get so close.

I stroke your velvet textured head,
My finger tickles your oily white bust,
Your two-tone colour mystifies me,
A cross between a crow and a dove?

My mother told me you symbolise,
Bad nuns, bad priests made visible again,
You shoot off and my superstition dies -
No need to salute magic bird, chatter-pie.

1 comment: